Friday, July 15, 2016

Stone With Hole: Part Two

I had a lot of trouble photographing this stone and am not sure that the photos do it justice. Despite this, I hope I managed to capture the essence of this particular piece.

One thing that is evident to me is that these prehistoric artists understood the materials with which they worked. For instance, they often chose this type of stone to create what I consider to be dreamscapes. In other words, you can see the outer figures, but there are also these otherworldly landscape scenes and spirit figures. The blue and white lends itself quite naturally to sky and water; clouds and waves as well as ghostly images.

The final photos in this posting remind me of the Big Bad Wolf character in Little Red Riding Hood. Not only is there a sly look in his eyes, but you can also see the dent of his nostrils and his "the better to eat you with!" teeth.

I would suggest that it takes a certain level of sophistication to create the whimsical character that is featured in Photo 17 and the menacing nature of the wolf character in the same stone--that they were not just depicting figures, but also conveying emotions. The fact that so many years later, I can recognize and appreciate these emotions--that their work is able to bridge time in this fashion--is to my mind proof of just how gifted these artists were.

No comments:

Post a Comment