Sunday, August 23, 2015

One Stone With Many Images: Part One

When I picked this stone up, I knew that it was likely some kind of rock art. It was so lined and bumpy, but I never dreamt I'd find so many images in it. It took me days to edit the photos. I have it sitting here beside me and even now, I can see images that I missed. Nevertheless, a lot of photos remain; the postings will take all week. I will start with some long shots and then, zoom in with close-ups. I've attempted to avoid excessive duplication, but in some cases, the same image may be featured from slightly different angles or lighting.

As a general comment, whoever worked on this stone had an incredible understanding of the rocks with which they worked; intricate carving techniques and what we'd know think of as artistic principles. How is it that we've forgotten about these people? I worked for eighteen years as a local historian and don't recall ever seeing anything like what I've been finding on our farm. As Canadians, we've heard a lot about and seen many examples of totem poles on the west coast. Is it such a stretch of the imagination to think that prehistoric man was creating something comparable out of rocks here in Southwestern Ontario?

No comments:

Post a Comment