Sunday, May 17, 2015

Small Stone, Many Faces

I found this in the field on the weekend and marvel at the fact that such a small stone can have so many faces. After spending so much time in the field, my eye is trained to spot the specific types of stone that prehistoric artists favoured in their work. Unusual markings also tend to jump out at me as I walk past. In this case, it was the big slash of the mouth that caught my eye.

Generally, I just gather anything that looks like it might be a possible work of art and study it later. Once I got a closer look at this one, I knew I had to feature it today. There is something quite compelling about a small, simple stone being the canvas for an ancient work of art.

The art world would be a-buzz if a Group of Seven painting was found buried in a field. This too is Canadian art. It's a shame that it has gone unnoticed for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment