Friday, April 3, 2015

Wrinkled Faces

My knowledge of geology is sketchy at best. In a previous article, I talked about a type of stone that glows in sunlight. Based on an article which I read on the Archaeology of Portable Rock Art website, I'm thinking it's quartz, but I'm not 100% sure. Here's another example of it. There are tons of faces in this one.


Also, a lion's head.






















And what looks like a sketch of a mammoth. I recall a couple of articles in local newspapers from the late 1800's which talked about mammoth or mastodon bones being discovered near Strathroy, Ontario (in neighbouring Middlesex County) and in Moore Township here in Lambton.



















And some other interesting detail. Is that a tongue sticking out in the second photo?




















 
 
Someone spent a lot of time working on this stone. These photos don't begin to capture all the images in it or to do it justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment